How to do sand yachting?
To practice this sliding sport, nothing could be simpler: all you need is a little wind (which comes from the sea), a low tide and a great desire for adrenaline!
Direction the sailing school where the instructor welcomes us to explain how the machine works. The technique to start? Imagine that we have a bicycle handlebar... To handle with the feet! To move forward and master the speed, he explains the vocabulary words to remember: “trim the sail” means pulling on the sail; “shock the sail” means to release the sail. How to stop? We asked him and here is his answer: the sand yacht has no brakes! The instructor reassures us and shows us that the sand yacht stops as soon as we face the wind! We put on our helmets, it's up to us!
- Check if the wind comes from the open sea: it will not be cut off by the monuments and will remain stable
- Handles like a bicycle: the feet direct the direction, the arms regulate the speed
- To slow down: lower the sail
- To speed up: tuck in the sail
- To stop: face the wind
Discover the sensations of sand yachting
Sitting at ground level, each on his own machine, we begin our first sand yachting session in Brittany! We remember the instructor's precious instructions and let our racing car glide along the Brittany coast. The least we can say is that the sensations are not long in coming! The sand yacht accelerates slowly (with a few jerks, lack of control on the first try of course), but after only a few minutes, the speed begins to stabilize little by little.
If we had to describe our sensations? Certainly the same as those we can find in karting, but with the sound of the waves replacing that of the engine: a real pleasure!
- Sand yachting is a great water activity if you're looking for adrenaline
- The average speed of the sand yacht is 60km/h. The more seasoned can drive up to 100km/h!
Test sand yachting in Brittany: for whom?
In Brittany as elsewhere, the practice of sand yachting is accessible from an early age! In general, the first sessions can be given from 6-7 years old, when children are able to dissociate the movements of the arms and legs.
For the great beginners, we try to favor the days when there is little wind, in order to start gently. Great fans of speed, tricks and skids will have a great time on days with strong winds!
- Sand yachting is recommended from around 6-7 years old (ask sailing schools)
- It is possible to do initiation sessions for children and adults: a great opportunity to go out to the water's edge with the family!
- For complete beginners, it is recommended to test the sand yacht on a “light wind” day.
Where to test sand yachting in Brittany?
To test sand yachting in Brittany, here are our 3 spots to remember in Dinan-Cap Fréhel:
From Rougeraie beach to Beaussais Bay, the place is ideal for all levels. In addition, the sailing school is open all year round!
In Sables-d’Or-les-Pins, the dune landscapes welcome you for a beautiful ride in a sand yacht, on one of the most beautiful beaches in Brittany! In the program ? 3 km of fine sand, pine trees, the bay of Saint-Brieuc... A magical place to test sand yachting in Brittany!
The Bay of Mont Saint-Michel is a good place to learn sand yachting! Brittany's 7 km long stretch of coastline guarantees great acceleration… Meet at the sailing school, labeled “French sand yachting school”!